Thursday, April 12, 2012

Digital Literacy > Connect


Connecting DigiCiv
 
I have discussed aspects of our digital civilization course with more people outside of class than any other course in my educational career. Here are a few examples over the course of the semester:
  • I conversed frequently with friends and co-workers about their experiences in education (one has children in a charter school, another is studying elementary education).
  • I encouraged one friend to channel his passion for sports into a blog. 
  • I discussed the pros and cons of Prezis (a technology I was first exposed to in this class) with a friend (an advertising major who has given several presentations in front of real clients).
  • I got back in touch with three high school teachers who had an impact on me as a student, and told them about my experience in the course. I also invited them to check out the course website. All three responded, and two commented positively on the design of the course. 

I contacted the third former teacher (AP Biology) just before our final event, inviting her to check out the archived stream at her convenience, in addition to my blog and the course website. I chose to invite her to watch the stream because when I took her class in 2008, we were required to post and comment regularly on a class blog. Today, she continues to integrate online tools and even social media into her high school biology courses.

Event Report

I didn’t invite anyone to the live event, and invited one person to watch the archived stream.  As far as I know, my former teacher has not yet watched the stream.

During the event, I participated as one of the presenters for the education group. In addition, I created a twitter account and contributed to the twitter backstream during the openness presentation. I fielded one of the questions from the twitter audience following our presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment