Thursday, February 2, 2012

On Keynotes and Lecture Notes


I was also scribbling (typing) thoughts about presentations last class, and after seeing the recent posts from Dr. Burton and classmate Hwanhi Chung, I decided to contribute some of my musings.

Here is the question I asked myself: “What is the purpose of a presentation?”
           
“To inspire further research by the attendees later?” posited my lofty, philosophical self.
           
“To spill my knowledge into your brain?”  retorted my college-general-attending self.
           
“To burn time?” snorted my cynical self
           
“Tradition?”offered my nostalgic self.

The next set of musings could follow this question: “What makes a Keynote speaker?”

I believe that speakers of note are invited to present because they wield one or both of these attributes:

1.  Their ideas or experiences are deemed important enough that others should be made aware of and gain some basic understanding concerning them. Their ideas or experiences. Not their rehashing of someone else’s ideas or experience, necessary as that might be for purposes of context.

Steve Jobs: How to live before you die


  
2. The other attribute of a great presenter is that their manner of presenting highly engages the audience, eliciting response and action. This is the presenter who connects with his or her audience, instead of talking at an audience.

What is the difference between a rehash of information and the more eloquent manner of presenting?

Rehashing results in bullet points, while a developed manner of presenting yields a memorable experience.  

Randy Bott, BYU


(0:40-1:00 for the pertinent part of the video)

In church and at school, we are invited to present (or give talks) at least in part because the preparation of the presentation has the potential to yield great educational returns to the one preparing.

Shouldn’t we also be striving to develop those two traits of the master presenters? Why not take the opportunity to develop our own ideas and reactions, and polish our manner of presenting them?

A question I will ask myself as I contribute to my upcoming group presentations:

How can I make my presentation go farther than what the audience can get from downloading my slides?

No comments:

Post a Comment